2004 China mooncake
- Hefei Engineering Plant caught recycling old mooncake ingredients
2007 Japan Shiroi Koibito (White Lover) chocolate cookies
- Ishiya repackaged some Shiroi Koibito cookies to extend expiry date.
2008 China milk
- Babies were killed and fell sick after consuming infant formula contaminated with the industrial chemical melamine and leather-hydrolyzed protein.
2009 China fake egg
- Fake eggs first appeared in the mid-’90s and production spread all over China, Xinhua reported back in 2005.
2011 Japan radioactive beef
- Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster caused cesium contaminated beef
2013 Taiwan tapioca starch
- Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) found maleic acid contaminated products (i.e. tapioca starch balls used in bubble tea) from Taiwan.
2013 China gutter oil
2013 Taiwan adulterated oil
- Wei Chuan Foods Corp and Ting Hsin Oil & Fat Industrial are both subsidiaries of the Ting Hsin International Group.
- Ting Hsin Oil & Fat was blending the adulterated oils (olive oils / grapeseed oils) sold by Chang Chi into Wei Chuan products. Chang Chi mixed cottonseed oil and other cheap oils into more expensive grapeseed and olive oils. Chang Chi also added food coloring copper chlorophyllin to make the cheaper oils look like olive/grapeseed oils.
2013 Europe horse meat as beef
2013 China rat meat sold as lamb meat
2013 New Zealand milk recall
- Fonterra called for recall after contamination of botulism-causing bacteria were found during safety tests.
2014 Japan frozen food with pesticide toxicity
- Unhappy worker contaminated frozen food products with pesticide malathion.
2014 China expired meat
- China supplier Shanghai Husi Food Co Ltd workers mishandling meat and mixing fresh meat with product past its expiration date.
- Affecting China fast-food chain like McDonald’s (in Japan & perhaps HK too), KFC, Starbucks, Burger King, Dicos, Papa John, Pizza Hut.
2014 Taiwan tainted oil
- Taiwanese Chang Guann Co (強冠企業) produced lard from tainted/gutter oil (recycled kitchen oil) and sold/exported them to food companies, restaurants and bakeries.
- Badly affected companies are TW Wei Chuan Foods Corp (a subsidiary of the Ting Hsin International Group), TW 85’C Bakery Cafe, HK Maxim’s Cakes’ (美心西餅) & HK Dah Chong.
(to be continued…)